What is Combined Bearing Technology?
Combined bearings are roller bearings that can carry both radial and axial loads. The structure of combined bearing is in such a way that the axial and radial bearing operate at 900. The main load is carried by the radial bearing whereas the axial bearing takes the side thrust.
The combined bearing is used with profile rails or channels. There are two main types of profiles, I and C profiles. The combined bearing slides into the profile rail resulting in the required linear motion. The combined bearing is welded with flange plate for the mounting required as per the need of the application. This assembly is majorly used for heavy duty vertical and horizontal movement with precision.
How combined bearings are different from other linear motion technologies?
Combined bearings are used typically for high load applications. For certain applications like dusty environment or high temperature environment linear guides or ball screws can be replaced by combined bearings. The general comparison of different linear motion systems is given in the below table.
What are the selection parameters for combined bearings?
The following are the basic selection parameters.
- Load Capacity – This is the load to be carried and the dead load (weight)
- Load Distance – The distance of load from the suspension point
- Bearing Distance – The distance between the combined bearings in the assembly. (the recommended distance is 500-1000 mm)
- Size Range – The combined bearings can be selected based on the O.D. The O.D. typically ranges from 52.5 mm to 153.8. The O.D. of jumbo bearings ranges from 180 mm to 320 mm.
Apart from these basic parameters, other considerations such as in-situ application requirement, workplace environment and temperature etc. also need to be considered.
|Application||Lead Screws||Ball Screws||Chain & Sprocket||Rack & Pinion||Actuators||Linear Guides||Combined Bearings|
|Precision||High||V High||Good||High||V High||V High||Good|
|Load Capacity||Good||High||Good||High||Good||Good||V High|
|High Temp. Environment||Good||Good||High||High||Good||Good||High|
Mr. Pushkar Kulkarni and Mr. Somnath Sawant are experienced engineers at Multidimensions. They have extensive experience in providing engineering solutions for the controlled and precision movement of objects and machine parts. Multidimensions supplies hard to get industrial products sourced from the reputed manufacturers from Germany, Japan, USA, etc. to the clients all across India.
What are the applications of combined bearings?
Combined bearings can be efficiently used in different industries. Some of the major applications are as follows:
- Steel: combined bearings are used in Pickling Lines & Edge Wiper Machines in Cold Rolling Mill (CRM), billet conveyor, furnace trolley and transfer car in Bar and Structure Mill (BSM), Wire Rod Mill (WRM) and Hot Strip Mill (HSM).
- Material Handling: It is used in Forklifts like Toyota Forklift and Baoli Forklift etc., Statec Binder Palletiser machine etc.
- Aluminium: Combined bearings are used in Stack Loader and Sow Casting Machine in Cast House, PTM Machine (Hydraulic Type) in Aluminium Smelting – Pot Room and in Billet Casting Plant.
- Automobile: It is used by Line Builders and in Power Electrical Sectors.
- Others: The Combined bearing assemblies are used in many other industrial applications like transfer units, automation for different projects, packaging machines, wood and paper industry and general machine building etc.
Who are the leading manufacturers of combined bearings?
Winkel GmbH is a German company who pioneered combined bearings. Winkel is the leader in heavy lifting systems and has been serving the market for more than 38 years. There are many other manufacturers like Alfatec (Germany), Euro-Bearings LTD (UK), C.R. Bearings (Italy), FARO Bearings (Italy) and WD Bearings (China).
For more information: www.multidimensions.co.in