How to Beat the Five Cheats
Fraud at the truck scale is as widespread as it is alarming, but it can be prevented. METTLER TOLEDO offers a number of products to accompany your truck scale that will protect your business.
Summary of the Five Cheats
- Improper Positioning – Most common cheat where the truck is either not fully on the scale or the next truck in line drives onto the scale, resulting in a lower/higher weight reading.
- Load-Cell Tampering – A device is added to the analog load cell system which allows the driver to use a remote and increase or decrease the weight to their benefit.
- Lighten the Load – Driver expels additional weight after weighing in and before loading/unloading. This results in the driver receiving more product than was paid for, or getting paid for more product than was delivered.
- Disappearing Goods – Driver drops some of the product at a secret location between being loaded and unloaded. This is most common when trucks are running the same route multiple times a day.
- Altering Data – A scale-house attendant conspires with a driver to alter weight tickets and gets a cut of the profit. Alternatively, the data-management software is insecure and open to hacking.